Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Losing It (Losing It #1) [Bliss Edwards & Garrick Taylor] by Cora Carmack

I"m always at a loss on the first sentence... especially when the main character - Bliss - is SO much like me..
Well, she is like me in the sense that I always find myself embarrassing myself, doing something more clumsy than clumsy, being the most naive person in the group while no one really realizes it. 

So Bliss is a virgin. It's not like she never kissed a guy before or made up with one, it's just she never actually had sex with anyone. and at the age of 22 it kinda annoys her. which I totally understand, when I was in the same "spot" (though surprisingly younger) I thought to myself - damn! can't I get get a bold pen and just cross a line over the virginity deal? 
When her (IMO annoying!!!) friend Kelsey learns that she's a virgin she decided that Bliss should just go out that very second and find someone to lose her virginity with  - and I'm asking you, if it was THAT simply for her to find someone she could feel comfortable enough to sleep with, wouldn't she have done it already?! So I don't "get" her friend and basically wanted to hang her from a tree or if one not available - from a pole. I'm not picky, ya know? 

If I was her friend and if it was THAT important to me that my best friend wouldn't be a virgin (which would have never happened! that's none of my business!) I'd suggest her sleeping with someone she actually knows and feels comfortable with like her best friend Cade. yeah, that's probably wouldn't be such a "brilliant" idea also but it's MUCH better one.. 

Back to Bliss which should be the main issue here :)

She is a Bliss - for me. because she is so funny, and everything just "happens" to her, and she is SO not in control of her life, or any situation really. She blabs things she doesn't mean, she stumbles and fall and all of those things other people find "so damn cute" (yeah.. other people.. when it's you - you just wanna shoot yourself..)

So going out the night her friend Kelsey finds out she is a virgin actually did get her to meet this incredible guy (even comes packed up with a sexy British accent - what more can you possible ask for?) but naturally it doesn't mean she sleeps with him in the first few chapters of the book.. she does, however, fuck it up big time..

When something like this happens to you, you tell yourself - never mind, what are the odds I'll ever meet her/him again. and then probably the next day you curse and swear - WHY would you possibly say such a stupid thing? because there in front of your eyes would be exactly the person you are trying to avoid.. 

In Bliss's case, Garrick is be standing in front of the classroom as her new teacher.. WONDERFUL! no. not really. because she obviously still wants him, and he obviously doesn't get what the hell happened that night that made her bolt. and anyhow, it wouldn't be such a good idea to explore all of that considering they are NOT suppose to be dating.. 

I don't want to write more about the plot. Just that Cade "role" was obvious in my eyes but not in a bad way because I totally "get it" and also because I really like him. Kelsey, on the other hand, is totally unnecessary in my eyes - not a good friend in any means.. (I hope I'll get to like her on the 3rd book :D).

I really enjoyed this book. it was fun and funny, lots of misunderstandings from Bliss, from Garrick and of course a very happy ending.
I"m giving this one 4.5 stars because I felt that it was too-young adult for me. It was in a way too sweet and innocent - made me feel like we're in high school more than college. 
  

Additional Details: Kindle Ebook, 204 pages, 12-14 October 2013 / On GoodReads
 
 
 ABOUT THIS SERIES
 
Losing It is a Young Adult / New Adult series by Cora Carmack. The series evolve of 3 friends, each novel introduces them to their Happily Ever After. 

In the first one we meet the "gang" while they are in College studying acting (Texas) there the first couple is formed. The next one takes place in Philadelphia to where the (not so new by now) couple move with the main character of the second novel. The third one takes place in Europe where the main character is backpacking and where she meets her HEA.  

In my opinion each book can be read as a stand alone since though we met the 3 characters in the first book, on the next ones they don't play THAT a big role for you to need to know their past relationship and what you need to know is explained. Besides, the timing of the second and the third kind of overlap so it doesn't really matter which you read first.

Most of the series is written by a single POV, meaning the first ("Losing It"), the third book ("Finding It") and the finishing novella ("Seeking Her"), but the second one ("Faking It") as well as the first two novellas ("Keeping Her", "Inking Him") are written with alternating POVs of the MC. I think that in general I rather have alternating POVs to singular one enabling me to get the "whole story" and not only because of that - the second book was my favorite of the bunch. Really loved both the MC and enjoyed getting to hear both their voices throughout the book. 

I find it hard to classify this one, it's somewhere between Young Adult to New Adult. While the first one felt like a true Young Adult novel (which annoyed me a little) where the romance was sweet yet somehow childish in certain aspects and also very "fresh" since the main heroine is a somehow an insecure virgin, the second one felt more mature which I enjoyed much more. The second one also has the "coming of age" concept that we usually find in a NA book. The third one is somewhere in the middle, it has the "coming of age" vibe that feels like a NA novel, yet to get there you have to bear through quite a lot of silly and teenagery behavior before the main heroine decides to put aside the liqueur and have some mature decisions. 

This series is simply a joy to read. You spend half the time Laughing Out Load and the rest just enjoying the easy going writing and the beautiful love story. 
I should add that the novellas in between aren't a must have and in my opinion are not as good as the full novels. So, you can just stick with the 3 main ones.
Recommended!

Books:
1. Losing It [Bliss Edwards & Garrick Taylor] (published 15 October 2012) ★★★★½
1.5 Keeping Her [Bliss Edwards & Garrick Taylor] (published 13 August 2013) ★★★★
1.6 Inking Him [ Bliss & Garrick bonus short story ] (published 23 April 2014) ★★★★
2. Faking It [Mackenzie “Max” Miller & Cade Winston] (published 4 June 2013) ★★★★★
3. Finding It [Kelsey Summers & Jackson Hunt] (published 15 October 2013) ★★★★
3.5 Seeking Her [Kelsey Summers & Jackson Hunt] (published 28 January 2014) ★★★½
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment