Thursday, May 1, 2014

Exposure (Curio Vignettes #6) by Cara McKenna

This is the last installment in the "Curio Vignettes" (mini) series and for me it delivered exactly what I wanted to read :) I love a happy ending, love happily ever after but I usually prefer it to be less sticky and more to the point of dealing with the problems or at least seeing a way out of them - just as this installment delivered. 

Caroly and Didier leave Paris for a few days vocation in Provence. This trip is very significant for the both of them, first because it means Didier found another job (I loved the job that he found, I actually thought it would be cool if that's what he did and then I got exactly that :)) and it also means that he is dealing much better with his Agoraphobia. and naturally it means that the both of them can take the relationship to the next level.

I think it's beautiful how much the both of them changed in the past 5 months they have been together. Caroly is a much stronger woman who knows what she wants, the sexual experiences did a lot for her confidence and not only between the sheets and Didier naturally had a lot of change with his phobia but also he did a huge change in life choosing to live for himself and deal with the fear and not close himself up with his clients which on the one hand are fun for him and on the other hand they helped him confine himself in his apartment. 

While I wrote after the first installment that I get Caroly's state of mind, I think that in a way I also understand Didier. I love being in my house. If I didn't have my dogs and a day job that takes me out of the house I would have probably almost never leave it, just to go to the post office to take my packages and sometimes go out to eat when I don't feel like making dinner. I can be very sociable. But at heart I crave the silence and solitude of my 4 walls. For me it's not about fear or insecurity it's just that I'm a private person (and unlike Didier I'm not the hospitable type) and like my quite time with myself.

I guess a lot of avid readers know what I mean :) Anyhow I know what Didier means when he says that Caroly truly loves him because she makes him get out of his shell, and my good friends are like that as well, when I "disappear" for a while they rouse me from my social hibernation. I know it's bad being isolated but I'm too content with being alone to change that and lets say the truth out loud here - it's not good being alone all the time.. and it's good having a balance. 

You already know I love this mini series and I already started adding tiny bits of books by Cara. I'm really happy I'm ending this month and starting a new one after reading two great series (remember the disappointments from the beginning of the month?).  Tomorrow I'll be returning to the Angels of the Dark series by Gena Showalter YAY!


Additional Details: Kindle Ebook, 52 pages, 30 April 2014 / On GoodReads
 
ABOUT THIS SERIES
 
Curio Vignettes was the first (and only, actually) work I've read by Cara McKenna, I did read most of her Contemporary Romance work on her pan name Meg Maguire and was really interested in reading more by her in the Erotica genre. 

This is a series of short novellas telling us the love story between Didier and Caroly. The first novella is a bit longer than the others (~100 pages) while the other ones are shorter (~50 pages). Each novella tells us of how their relationship is going / proceeding which makes it more real than some novels telling us of love at first (or second) sight and then happily ever after too soon to feel reliable. Here it's different, each part takes place at least a week or few weeks from the other making the timing more real. 

I think you could consider this a full novel and not really a series but maybe because each part is set apart from the other and has it's separate story it makes more sense separating it into a series of novellas.  As I've written about "Roman Holiday" by Ruthie Knox, sometimes it's nice having a separate short story when you don't have the time to commit to a long book or series. 

I don't think I ever read a book with this sort of a plot line. Caroly, 30 years old, an American living in France is tired of the fact that she is still a virgin. Speaking to a friend about it she recommend Didier a mouth watering ex model who is also a man-whore - a high class whore. 

Caroly and Didier start their "relationship" exactly in the manner you think, she pays him to free herself of her virginity but both of them are surprised when it becomes more than that, they soon become friends. When Caroly learns the truth of what makes Didier keep his occupation (it's not what you think :P) she is determined to help him free himself of his burden. I really enjoyed the originality in this part and how it was brought and handled throughout the series. I don't want to write more not to spoiler.. 

I do think that we all need a lover like Didier. So in sync with our wants and needs. So patient and aiming to please. I don't think the majority of women can say they had a first (and second and..) time as AWESOME as hers :D A shame really :P

Recommended! :)

Books:
1. Curio (published 28 September 2011) ★★★★★
2. Coercion (published 29 August (2012) ★★★★½
3. Craving (published 26 September 2012) ★★★★★
4. Reversal (published 24 October 2012) ★★★★★
5. Confession (published 21 November 2012) ★★★★★
6. Exposure (published 26 December 2012) ★★★★★

 

No comments:

Post a Comment