My Menu

Saturday, July 19, 2014

Daylight Again (Hell or High Water #3) by SE Jakes ~~~ ★ ★ ★ ~~~

This is the third installment in the series and IMO the least capturing. I did enjoy the building of the relationship between Prophet and Tom, I think that they have got to the best place for the both of them, putting the past and past's secrets behind and getting ready to live their lives together as a couple. There are even talks about the future, a domestic (less action) kinda future which was really sweet. I really wonder what would happen with Prophet, his eye condition and what sort of occupation he could have.

The book has two plot lines. The first, rescuing a friend of Prophets in Africa during that time they encounter someone that is after Prophet (the guy who interrogated him in the tape) and thus begins the second plot line of their mission to find Sadiq and John Morse. This part was really slow going. Too many days of nothing to do but express Tom and Prophet's relationship problems. Which are important since this IS romance, but it was tiring because nothing really happened. 

We got more of Mal and Cillian since as it seems the first book in the Dirty Deeds spin off series is taking place in the same time line as their novella does. It was kinda strange since the ending of the novella was a total hit in the face and then they are operating together without us getting the "what's going on" since some of the plot takes place AFTER the novella's time line. 

All in all this one was a bit of a miss for me. Too slow going and nothing really happening except for a little action with the guy who got kidnapped then at the end another really small portion. I was putting down the book too many times, because I just wasn't hooked.. I don't know.. and then the ending.. I felt it was TOO obvious. I was thinking that the whole book and no one mentioned anything about it.. what's up with that?!

One other thing that got me quite annoyed is that, sadly, I don't remember all the small details in the previous books. Don't remember always who's who.. I'm reading A LOT of books so it's natural for all the names to mix up (certainly WITHIN a series). I forget names in real life so in books.. also I don't remember all the details in each and everyone's lives.. Usually the author gives a small reminder to those things, here, it's like Jakes was just sure we remember it all or we read it all together one after the other.. I don't know.. But it WAS problematic. I would suggest you either read them all at once or read detailed reviews (that include spoilers) of the previous ones before going in.. 






Additional Details: Kindle Ebook, 265 pages, 11-18 July 2014 / On GoodReads

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disqus