My Menu

Monday, March 9, 2015

Backwoods (Shivaree 0.5) by Cara McKenna ~~~ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ~~~

Utterly compelling and impossible to put down. This short novella, which is a prequel to the Shivaree series was nothing like the usual reads I enjoy. Yet I did enjoy it and I'm not even sure I can explain why. 


The story, told from Shane's POV was so damn captivating. Shane might be a nice guy when you look at the life he is living, managing a bar he bought from his aunt, part owner or a car repair shop. Friendly and caring to his workers and costumers, living a quiet life in the apartment above the pub who used to belong to his grandmother (before his aunt changed the downstairs into a bar). Yet when Gabriel walks inside "Shivaree" everything nice about Shane turns into a possessiveness and obsessiveness I found sick and fascinating at the same time. 

Gabriel arrives at "Shivaree" to play his mandolin. After amazing everyone (especially Shane and not only for the way he plays or sings but for the dripping charisma) he asks Shane where can he find a temporary coach to crash on. Shane offers his own and before Shane has enough time to comprehend the strange attraction he has for Gabriel he finds himself actually acting upon the attraction even though he never even considered being with a man before. Gabriel is the only man he was ever attracted to. 

This short novella has nothing to do with love. It's about the obsession Shane has with Gabriel and OWNING Gabriel. I can't say I found it attractive.. I didn't.. Yet Gabriel LOVED it and craved for exactly that - a man who can possess him and own him. Yet Gabriel is a lot more than what he seems, a lot more than the fantasies he asks for from Shane. He wants more and what he wants isn't exactly what Shane can handle. 
A great sexy read even though strangely enough I can't say I liked Shane and Gabriel (together or apart). It was the story itself, how it was written and played that sucked me in and held me transfixed to my kindle. 



Additional Details: Kindle Ebook, 92 pages, 8 March 2015 / On GoodReads

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disqus