Friday, March 6, 2015

The Trick Is by Aleksandr Voinov & Gileonnen

This short novella, like the previous one I've read is a free fan fic. It's about Ali and Lawrence from "Lawrence of Arabia" and it be downloaded from Aleksandr's website (right HERE). The novella was published as a charity story to raise money to fight Proposition 8 (banning same sex marriage). 


I haven't seen the movie. Maybe if I had I would have had a better feel of the characters and what they are about but as it was I had a hard time connection with both of them or understanding the struggle they were in. 

The novella is written from both Ali and Lawrence's POV as it seems they were lovers in the past but now they are at odds (it wasn't explained why). Lawrence wants to keep Ali away from him and the emotions he still feels for him, yet he can't stay away. Ali doesn't understand the change that went through Lawrence and why he is fighting who he is and what used to be theirs. 

For me it simply wasn't enough. I didn't understand the characters or their motives, I didn't understand what the connection between them was before, how they lived and were with each other. There wasn't any reference to why they aren't together anymore and I didn't understand what prompted the change in Lawrence in general. I also didn't understand the ending or what brought it on. 

I should say that the story was well written, there was a beautiful connection between Ali and Lawrence with the way they spoke to one another. Lot's of analogies to water and the desert and special meaning only for the two of them exchanged in private as well as with audience (in Arabic, very personal also for the two of them). 




Additional Details: Kindle Ebook, 20 pages, 5 March 2015 / On GoodReads

No comments:

Post a Comment