Friday, May 29, 2015

Dreams of Gods & Monsters (Daughter of Smoke & Bone #3) by Laini Taylor

I really intended on reading this book - front to cover, even though the previous installment prepared me that this one is heavier on the Fantasy side than I would prefer. I'm not even sure if that's the problem really I just couldn't find my interest in the plot. I felt lost. Everything moves SO damn slowly I just wanted for something to HAPPEN and nothing actually did. I should say that maybe 18% into a book isn't a lot, yet considering the length of this novel, I'd say more than 100 pages into a book something SHOULD happen. 

I can't and won't review this book. There is nothing that actually happened that I can write about. The invasion on earth - very little is known at this point (there is a new side plot with a human woman telling it from her POV), Akiva and Karou are trying to work together but it's hard from all accounts to make it happen. That's it. No real progression in anything really. 

Originally I made a series page for this series but at the moment I think it makes no sense. I can't write about this series and say what it is about or where it is going because I haven't read the crucial part (this book..) so I'm just going to link to the previous installments. 

This series started amazing with "Daughter of Smoke & Bone", it was part Fantasy, part Romance on the Young Adult side (though the teenagers in this novel don't feel immature IMO). The world building was beautifully done, and the mystery slow revealing yet not too slow. The second installment "Days of Blood & Starlight" was heavy on the Fantasy side concentrating on Karou's struggle to fight for her people even if they don't trust her. I missed a bit of a romantic side in this one. In this book the meeting between Zuzana and Mik (Karou's best friends) was mentioned and so after the 2nd installment there is a short novella "Night of Cake & Puppets" telling us of their "first date" it was very sweet and romantic. 

So sadly I'm concluding this series in a bit of a sour note. I think it's me, not the book. I just don't find the interest I used to find in slow progressing Fantasy novels. It used to be my go-to genre years and years ago, but I guess I'm looking for different things now. I would still HIGHLY recommend it to ones who are into the genre. It's very well written and the characters are very relate-able. I want to say that they feel very "human" but it's feel kinda stupid when some of them aren't ACTUALLY human ;) 
 (DNF 18%)

Additional Details: Kindle Ebook, 613 pages, 26-28 May 2015 / On GoodReads

No comments:

Post a Comment