Friday, April 8, 2016

All Broke Down (Rusk University #2) [Silas & Dylan] by Cora Carmack

I was a bit worried about this one, Silas didn't seems like the sort of guy I would want to read about.. not as a MC at least.. Lets say it clearly, he's a douche.. or at least he was to Dallas.. but then, seeing how he acts toward Carson it makes you wonder what's under the, well, duchiness.. and Dylan? sound exactly like the girl Silas wouldn't even consider hooking up with and yet they worked out more than beautifully. My only compliant is I would have like to see a little bit more of them actually working out. The book ends with me feeling it's more of a HFN than a truly HEA. 

I want to start at the end actually. RIGHT at the end, after the last words about Silas and Dylan are finished we get to the Author's Note. I don't always read those, depending on my mood. So I'm really happy I took the time and read it. It was heart touching and beautiful and made me consider not only what I just finished reading but about how I want to be / act and the things I shouldn't ignore. I'm not activist but I'm very passionate about justice, people say it's because I'm a Libra. Yep, makes sense ;) But lets be serious for a moment here, I truly think we SHOULDN'T ignore injustice. NEVER-EVER. We should do what we can, show our support, even if all we personally have to offer is a hug and our compassion. 

Heavy.. yeah, I know.. sorry about that.. Let's get back to the story shall we?

This story is told from both Silas and Dylan's POV giving us two people who couldn't be more different yet have so much in common. Dylan is rich, yeah, but she haven't always been, which is part of why she is an activist, to any cause needed to be defended. Everything needing to be fixed is Dylan's turf. Silas life story is short and sad - a mom who bailed when he was young and Football saving his ass and bringing him an honest opportunity to leave the life he knew behind. Only after what happened to his best friend Levi (Dallas' Ex from the previous installment) he is starting to re-think his ability to NOT screw things up. He and Dylan meet in the last place he OR she should be - jail - somehow allowing them to talk and even though tries his best to win her over what he ends up doing against (?) his better judgment is agreeing on her "fixing" him so he can do the thing he does best - Football - and not crawl back to where he came from. 

It's a strange and awakening sort of relationship for both of them. Similar to the previous installment, Silas and Dylan start off as being friends (yet not as chaste as Dallas and Carson were ;) it IS Silas we're talking about here..). I'm trying to think what Dylan actually DID for Silas, and I guess she mostly stuck by him and believed in him, gave him the advice he would have given himself maybe if he was thinking clearly. Yet she had a HUGE impact on him and so it doesn't come as a surprise when he falls for her. 

Dylan on the other hand has her own issues. After her break up from her boyfriend she realized she needed to evaluate  things in her life, in a way that's how she ended up in jail.. Something in her perfect demeanor is cracked. She can't keep on playing this game, being the perfect girl. Silas is the right guy to loosen her up. So in a way it's not just HER fixing HIM, it's her allowing herself to enjoy the simple things in life, while helping someone who very quickly becomes close to her. She sees in Silas things he never saw in himself and since no one got that close - it's not something people around him notice  but these are exactly the things that make her fall for him. 

I really enjoyed their relationship buildup. It had it's fun moments, Silas being his silly selfl.. it had a bit of angst especially with how defensive and offensive Silas can be, and yet it was also sweet and gentle, more from Dylan's side at the beginning and later on more and more from Silas'. Yeah he was a jerk in the first installment but I think I can forgive him with how he got carried away with Levi, he truly showed his worth in this one, especially near the end in a scene that was heart breaking.. I guess we'll get more about that in the next books in the series (naturally not writing what I'm talking about not to spoiler..). 

It was fun getting more of the other guys in the team. I really can't wait to get Torres and Nell's story (Nell being Dylan's roommate, we got very little of her though..) not to mention the other two that aren't even out yet of Stella and Ryan and whomever Brookes ends up with.   

I'm LOVING this series


Additional Details: Kindle Ebook, 371 pages, 7-8 April 2016 / On GoodReads
 
 
ABOUT THIS SERIES
 
Rusk University is a New Adult Series by Cora Carmack. The series focuses on the players in Rusk's Football team.

I really enjoyed the first two installments of the series. They are quite a light fun read even though the MC have their issues to deal with, they are not "dark" in any way, it's just life I guess and growing up. Cora's books always contain a lot of Laugh-Out-Loud moments and are easy-going. So if that's what you're into you're going to REALLY enjoy this series. 
I should say I didn't like the third installment and yet I CAN'T WAIT for the next two! 
 

Books:
1. All Lined Up [Dallas Cole & Carson McClain] (Published 13 May 2014) ★★★★
2. All Broke Down [Silas Moore & Dylan Brenner] (Published 28 October 2014) ★★★★½
3. All Played Out [Mateo Torres & Antonella "Nell" DeLuca] (Published 12 May 2015) ★★
4. All Closed Off [Stella Santos & Ryan Blake] (To Be Published ???)
5. Untitled [Isaiah Brookes & ???] (To Be Published ???)
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment