Thursday, June 30, 2016

The Wedding Date (Four Weddings and a Fiasco Universe) by Katy Regnery

This short novella is based on a character from "Four Weddings and a Fiasco" series by Lucy Kevin (aka Bella Andre). I haven't read this series (or anything else by this author) but I WAS into reading more by Katy and so I added this one to my list. 

I gotta say it's not what I expected mostly because this one is sort of Young Adult novella in the way the characters were acting. I mean, he's 19 and she's 20 so basically this SHOULD have been more of a New Adult, but both characters FELT very young. They were SWEET, so so sweet, and endearing, and really deserving each other and to be happy but it also made the story a little bit, well, sappy. 


My one big "complaint" though isn't their age or "sappiness", because let's face it, this IS a romance story so it's something we expect especially when the couple meet at a weeding.. I didn't like the insecurities both of them had. They took much of a front seat. Jasmine is full figured and so feels insecure about the way she looks especially since Robert is GORGEOUS, on the swim team.. and why would he notice someone like her? Robert is insecure because he made a few mistakes in his past (dealing with drugs), he was worried Jasmine wouldn't take him seriously or think he's just a bad boy and so not someone to have a real relationship with - though it's exactly what he wants. These insecurities moves the plot along. We kept hearing them again and again in their inner dialogue as well as in their conversations with one another. In a way THAT'S what made it feel like a Young Adult novella for me, a sort of self absorbed look at the world. I"m not sure if I'm making any sense here but that's the way I saw/felt about it. 

It's a sweet story really about finding love when you least expect it or ready for it to fall on you, in the most natural and in a way unnatural place - a wedding. Sadly it's not my cup of tee so though the writing was great and the characters were sweet (yeah I used this word a TON in this review but that's the best way for me to describe them..) I didn't connect with them. I saw there are a lot of great reviews of this one which is very deserving, this is just my opinion so I suggest you try reading more reviews before taking mine - you might absolutely love it! 



Additional Details: Kindle Ebook, 95 pages, 30 June 2016 / On GoodReads

No comments:

Post a Comment