Sunday, June 8, 2014

The King (Black Dagger Brotherhood #12) [Wrath & Beth revisited] by J.R. Ward

Honestly, I don't feel like writing this review. First because I was disappointed.. and second because I have some things I want to refer to that would be a spoiler.. so we'll see how it goes..

While the other books in the series, each portrait a specific couple, this one is a bit different. First because Beth and Wrath aren't a new couple and aren't new to us and second because they don't feel like the main heroes which was FINE BY ME. I don't like both of them. Haven't been their fan from the first book in the series = their book. Wrath is too alpha male for me and Beth, in my eyes, isn't special, there isn't anything attractive in her character and I don't "get" why so many characters in the series consider her a really good friend because while reading it, you read *of* the relationship you don't read it first hand.  


The main issue with Wrath and Beth is the fact that Beth wants a baby (and Wrath doesn't..). But it's not the only issue, we also have the Band of Bastards wanting to disown Wrath and the Glymera trying to remove him from the throne because of Beth being a half breed. So considering both - it was simply boring.. yep, boring..

Beth and the baby. I myself don't want kids, I don't find them appealing. I also don't get that at a certain age you "have to" have a kid. I might change my mind 10 years from now but right now, at the age and stage that I'm in, and especially since I'm reading Paranormal Romance and not some other genre that might involve a family concept (and not just the couple concept) I find the whole subject to be, well, boring. 

I remember I read an argument in some forum, I can't remember if it was te BDB or another one but actually it doesn't matter, the issue was the difference between Urban Fantasy and Paranormal Romance. As it was describes there - in a Paranormal Romance it's about the main couple. If it's a series (not a stand alone) then each book would be about a certain couple finding their HEA. On an Urban Fantasy series it would be different. The whole series would be of one couple and their adventures and also the way the relationship is built throughout the plot. The main argument in this discussion was that kids have no place in a Paranormal Romance. In Urban Fantasy it could make sense. I guess I agree with that though I'm not sure I know enough about how each category is defined..

This argument promotes exactly what I'm trying to say - that Beth and Wrath having a baby is of no interest to the story. Think about Bella and Z. She got pregnant but it wasn't the main issue in their book and in the short novella "Father Mine" it was also not really about Nalla but about Z dealing with something very significant and making another step in healing himself. Here it's all about an obsession with having a kid. All Beth's thoughts and the things she does, the arguments with Wrath it's all about that. BORING. 

So yeah, I got that established.. Now to the other subject "The King" - BOB, Glymera and all that. I hated the whole sub plot. The Glymera are really something.. I find it hard to believe what they accomplished and even more absurd how the issue was resolved. Made NO SENSE in my mind and only made me disrespect that one who offered it.. it's an infantile move not a smart one and I would have expected more from that character. That being said Xcor is SUCH a disappointment. He was never my favorite in any sense of the word but his behavior makes NO SENSE. It's like the Warden had an idea she wanted to promote and she couldn't find a way to make it work so she just expected we'll take this one as it is.. and if we're speaking of Xcor then Layla is also quite bizarre in her behavior.   

I think that there were some things missing from the plot. We got some glimpses to the past, Wrath's parents and also another side character that will probably be mentioned in the next books since he becomes close to Wrath. Thing is, you don't get to really feel how the relationship was built and how it works out. There were a lot of times I felt this sort of "leap" that we had to have for the story to make sense.. Like there was a chapter that was deleted in editing.. 

Also we see Havers but also hear of him - like the fact that he doesn't treat gay. really?!?! what kind of a doctor is THAT?! there is so much wrong with this person I can fill a book! and also, another leap of faith for us - he's a traitor, there is NO WAY Wrath can consider going to him after what he does. Yet, he still considers him an option when there is a medical situation. Take a page from G. R. R. Marin - JUST FUCKING KILL HIM!

All that being said lets talk about the good staff - two couples - Assail and Sola and Trez and Selena. 

With Assail and Sola there is A LOT going on. really. and all of it is GREAT!! I can't wait to read the next one and see how it works out because we were left with a heart ache in the end of the book.. Assail became a favorite in the previous book and in this one I love him even more! 

On the previous one Sola gets abducted and Assail goes to rescue her. Oh boy what a rescue it THAT and what a charming male he becomes when it's about her! and what a killer when it's not :) 

I don't know how it will work out the fact that he is dealing with the enemy. The Brotherhood won't be able to forget that (I think..) and also Sola doesn't want to take part in his world and it's not like he has another occupation.. He's really a "bad guy". Rehv was a drug lord as well but he did it because he needed the money for his ransom and could stop when he didn't have to pay anymore..

Moving to the next couple.. Trez and Selena. We basically see how they get to know each other and Trez opening up to her. But since the next book is of both Trez and iAm we'll need to get there to see the HEA. I also really enjoyed reading iAm. There is a lot more to him and his silence. I loved what's going on with the s'Hisbe, I mean for the first time both iAm and Trez tries to put a stop to Trez marrying the Queen's daughter and it's quite interesting the person they turn to help. 

This book has been a long one. At least for me. I think there was too much of "around and around", too many pages describing objects, rooms, houses. There were too many times I had to "hold myself" to keep on reading so we get to the "good staff". 

I'm not sure what's to come in the series. I'm too addicted to even consider stopping even though this one was a total miss for me. It's still a GREAT series but I'm starting to realize I don't appreciate it as I used to. I read SO MUCH since I started reading this series and I have my misgivings about it. So even though I'll still recommend it with all my heart (!) to any Paranormal Romance lover out there I won't be shy saying what I DON'T like about it. 

So yeah, if you're read this series this far - don't miss the new couples! so what if Wrath and Beth are a bore :P and get ready (like I do!) for the next of the shadows



Additional Details: Kindle Ebook, 544 pages, 1-4 June 2014 / On GoodReads
 

ABOUT THE MCs

Wrath
Son of Wrath, is also known as the Blind King—the King of the Vampires and last pure-blood vampire in existence. As such, he is a well-known legend to the lessers. When the series started, he was almost blind and not willing to ascend to the throne. He falls in love with Beth, the half-breed daughter of his Brother-in-arms, Darius. His and Beth's story is told in Dark Lover (BDB #1). By the end of Lover Avenged, Wrath is completely blind and relies on a service dog, George, and his shellan (wife), Beth.

Elizabeth "Beth" Randall
The only surviving offspring of Darius and an unknown human woman. Originally a journalist prior to her transition, she is Wrath's beloved shellan and the half-breed Queen of the Vampires. She is also John's sister. Her close relationship with Butch allows him to be taken in by the Brotherhood. She owns a cat, Boo, who gets along with Wrath's dog, George, very well. Beth and Wrath's story is told in Dark Lover (BDB #1).

ABOUT THIS SERIES

The Black Dagger Brotherhood is a Paranormal Romance by J. R. Ward. This was actually the first PNR I've read. I've been a HUGE vampire fan most of my life, but I used to read Fantasy and Urban Fantasy. When I fell upon this series I've realized adding the romance "bit" is the best thing ever!

This series have been one of my most favorite for a long while. I really liked the way Ward built the world of the Brotherhood and in general the "Breed". They have been living besides humans but they are not a threat as they feast from their mate (partner) and anyhow human blood isn't potent enough for them. They mostly act human but as expected they have special abilities and animalistic behaviors. 

The series follows the Black Dagger Brotherhood, a contingent of vampire warriors in charge of protecting the "Breed" (Vampires) against their mortal enemies the "Lessening Society" which are a group of ex-humans transformed into soulless being with the sole purpose of harming the vampire race. The head of the Black Dagger Brotherhood, Wrath, is also the King of the race but he was trying to run away from his duties leaving in his stead a group of vampire aristocrats called the Glymera. 

My main issue with this series comes from the longgggg novels with many POVs and sub-plots. Sometimes it feels like everything is happening while there is nothing to actually move the plot. I guess it's very character driven and there is a lot of shenanigans between the "Brothers" which makes this read a fun one. This is a series to anyone looking for an action packed novel with tender romance and a lot of "bro" attitude. In each book one of the brothers gets his own HEA. There are interesting coupling, not what you'd expect (or the men themselves expected) but each woman helps her Breed male find his own happiness as they are all damages in their own way. 

I've been a huge fan of the series till the 13th novel - "The Shadows", it has been a breaking point for me, because it was different (and many reading complained about it) but also because I somehow felt I've had enough. I still highly recommend this series, It's one of the best in the genre IMO.

If you love these kinds of series I'd also recommend "Midnight Breed" by Lara Adrian. There is a few similarities (mainly in the first books) bit it takes a totally different turn. I actually enjoy it a bit more than this one.


YEP, RECOMMENDED! 


Books:
1. Dark Lover [Wrath & Beth] (published 6 September 2005) ★★★½
2. Lover Eternal [Rhage & Marry] (published 7 March 2006) ★★★★½
3. Lover Awakened [Zsadist & Bella] (published 5 September 2006) ★★★★★
4.  Lover Revealed [Butch & Marissa] (published 6 Match 2007) ★★★★½
5. Lover Unbound [Vishous & Jane] (published 25 September 2007) ★★★★
6. Lover Enshrined [Phury & Cromia] (published 3 June 2008) ★★
--- An Insider's Guide (Including "Father Mine") (published 7 October 2008 ) ★★★★
6.5 Father Mine [Zsadist, Bella & Nalla] (published 7 October 2008) ★★★★★
7. Lover Avenged [Rehvenge & Ehlena] (published 28 April 2009) ★★★★★
8. Lover Mine [John Mathew & Xhex] (published 27 April 2010) ★★★★★
9. Lover Unleashed [Payne & Manny] (published 29 March 2011) ★★★★½
10.  Lover Reborn [Thor & Autumn] (published 27 March 2012) ★
11.  Lover At Last [Quinn & Blaylock] (published 26 March 2013) ★★★★½
12.  The King [Wrath & Beth revisited] (published 1 April 2014) ★★★½
13. The Shadows [Trez & Selena / iAm & Maichen] (published 31 March 2015) ★★★

As I've mentioned there are more books published in this series but I've stopped after the 13th one. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment