Thursday, January 8, 2015

North of Need (Hearts of the Anemoi #1) [Owen & Megan] by Laura Kaye

I can't really explain why this book hasn't caught my interest. The story itself, the idea behind it, were cool. The characters are nice enough but not too appealing and the plot moves so slowly almost half way through a lot yet nothing happened, it felt as if most of the story has already been told / done and I don't have anything to really anticipate happening.. quite strange. I feel bad writing this so boldly, but I was just bored.. so I let this one go at 42%.

Megan Snow lost her husband two years ago. It's Christmas and instead of having it with her family she goes to the cabin they used to share during the holidays. On a desperate moment she build a 3 snowy figures - a snow family - John (her late husband) herself and a young they didn't have a chance to have. Crying into the arms of the snowman makes her wish sort of come true. The snow man turns into Owen Winters - the snow god who was asked by John Snow upon his death to make Megan happy (anyone have a deja vu hearing this name ;)). 


Their story, up to where I got, was sweet and endearing. Megan is sensitive and considerate, Owen is protective yet a bit childish and over enthusiastic about right about everything. Though there is much Megan doesn't understand she accepts him and enjoys his company. Owen is over joyed with everything Megan. It was sweet but somehow TOO sweet, there was too much excitement over the small staff and too much obsessing about caring for one another and the "oh so important" significant of it for both of them. Truthfully, there wasn't anything very special or interesting in them coming together in my personal opinion. 

I'm sure there's suppose to be some kind of twist or hardship for the both of them (at least the aspect of them having borrowed time until the snow melts), but I couldn't be bothered to wait for it to happen. I can't say that I have any specific problem with the book, the characters or the plot line there was just a lack of interest from my side.. I"m going to give the second one in the series a go (there are a total of four books in the series), but I think I"ll try an individual novel before that just to shake my mood so I can start really fresh and give the second one a real chance. I have also "Hard Ink" series by the same author on my reading list but since it's "realistic romance" I hope it would have a totally different feel. 

Note - This series contains 4 books in total - North of Need, West of Want, South of Surrender and East of Ecstasy. As I haven't finished this one or the next one and since I'm not going to keep on reading the series, I'm not going to make a series page. You can read my review of the second book here - West of Need (it's also a DNF at 22%).


 (DNF 42%)


Additional Details: Kindle Ebook, 236 pages, 7-8 January 2015 / On GoodReads

No comments:

Post a Comment