Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Beyond Addiction (Beyond #5) [Finn & Trix] by Kit Rocha

I'm not sure what went wrong in this one, but something did.. I just didn't find myself captivated by it, almost till the action in the end and I should say that most of what happened there was really predictable so I couldn't enjoy it as much as I wanted. I liked both Trix and Finn, I think I liked him better than I liked her. I think it's something to do with the fact that her personality wasn't clear enough for me. I got that she loves him, she loved him in the past but there was something missing, like in the first books in the series when the characters didn't feel developed enough and since the plot line wasn't that engaging I just felt it was sadly quite lacking.. 

In the end of the 4th book (Beyond Jealousy) we know Trix is kidnapped to Sector 5 where she used to live and where she came to know Finn in her younger years. Back then she was addicted to the drugs Mac Flemings distributed. Though there was a significant relationship between her and Finn it was tainted by both their addiction so it wasn't clear for the both of them what happened if/when they were both clean. While it was easier for HIM to get clean (he didn't use the addicting kind) it was for her. She ran away from Sector 5 leaving Finn behind to try and free herself from the binding of the drugs. Succeeding and living quite well in Sector 4 she find it hard to leave him behind yet she is afraid of what would happen if/when they meet again. 

They DO meet again when she is brought back to Sector 5. When Finn sees her he also sees black, he can't handle her being there again, he never did move on after her death (she faked an OD). Trying to find his demise in almost every battle he fought. 

Running together from Sector 5 to 4 gave both of them a taste of what they want to keep, question in, can Finn find his place in Sector 4 with her family and will the boss of Sector 5 allow Finn to get away.. 

As I wrote above, This book wasn't engaging enough though Finn was drool worthy indeed (I'm not talking only of the general ragged appearance). He did the best he could while he was in a really bad place so though some people consider him to be a sort of a villain in his heart he isn't or he's trying not to be. It was really nice seeing how he found his place with the O'Kanes. 


Additional Details: Kindle Ebook, 276 pages, 27-29 September 2014 / On GoodReads
 
ABOUT THIS SERIES
 
Beyond is a Dystopia Erotica series. I"m usually not into Dystopia and when it comes to Erotica I need more than just sex to keep my interest. But as it seems the Kit Rocha duo can actually pull it off, a series dripping in sex in all positions and every company available - MM, MF, MMF, FFM, FMFM and sometimes solo. An interesting world with an actual story line. Can you believe it? :)

The first novel gives most of the setting of the world and the "rules" while the next in the series has more of a developing plot. It's no ingenious plot mind you, but a plot nevertheless. I really enjoyed the first one, mostly because it was so different from anything I've ever read. It's strange writing it, but you'll get what I mean if you read it, the sex scenes actually has a significant to the story. It's more than body merging it somehow explains the world and the interactions between people through it. The boundaries of the world they live outside of, the no-boundaries of where they choose to live. 

While the guys are all alpha to the bone, I really enjoyed that the woman were also free spirited and strong. knowing what they want and how to get it, not ashamed to use their sexuality knowing that it's theirs to offer if they chose and not for others to take. 

It's a different world from ours in this sense. How many times did you encounter in a casual sex scenario a guy that thought firstly of a woman's pleasure before his own? It's mostly each one trying to achieve their own release not about the other person's. In Beyond it's somehow different maybe because there is so much more meaning to the concept of "together", the society is less, well, egocentric / capitalistic which naturally makes a change in the way you perceive the other. 

So thinking about the 3 paragraphs I've just written maybe you can see why sex has more to offer to the story than the act itself.  

Recommended for the open minded. Though I should say that I sometimes find myself conflicted about the series, it started out with a really unique vibe I enjoyed but I feel like the character personality and development can be lacking in some of the novels (mainly the first ones). Also plot-wise sometimes it's a bit predictable. With the special world and characters these two women built, I expect more of them yet they don't always deliver. As you can see I have 4 books I haven't read (yet?) not sure if I'll ever get to them..

 Books:
1. Beyond Shame [Nuel & Jasper] (published 16 September 2012) ★★★★
2. Beyond Control [Lex & Dallas] (published 19 March 2013) ★★½
2.5. Beyond Denial [Ace & Jared] (published 22 March 2013) ★★★★★
3. Beyond Pain [Six & Bren] (published 26 August 2013) ★★★★★
3.5. Beyond Temptation [Emma & Noah] (published 10 February 2014) ★★★★★
4. Beyond Jealousy [Rachel & Ace & Cruz] (published 16 March 2014) ★★★★★
4.5. Beyond Solitude [Mia & Derek] (published 1 May 2014) ★★★★★
5. Beyond Addiction [Trix & Finn] (published 11 August 2014) ★★★½
5.5. Beyond Possession [Zan & Tatiana Stone] (published 10 November 2014) ★★★★★

There are at least 3 more books in the series but I decided to put this series aside for now.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment